September 14, 2017
TVCC Coach Brad Smiley discusses the upcoming road game against Blinn.
- No. 3 TVCC is 3-0, 2-0 and No. 14 Blinn is 2-0, 2-0
- This is the third straight week TVCC is playing a nationally ranked opponent
- TVCC's special teams are red hot
- The Cardinal defense has not allowed a point in the second half all season
Quotable: "When we're averaging 14 to 15 yards better starting field position offensively than our opponents because of the great work being done by the Dog Team, which is our kick off unit, and our Quick Six Team, which is our kick off return unit, that's huge. It's the hidden yardage in the game."
September 12, 2017
Coach Paul Essary looks at Friday night's game against Red Oak.
- First road game, going to Red Oak Friday night.
- Red Oak is the biggest team the Hornets have faced so far.
- Both teams 1-1.
- Hornets getting players back from injury.
Quotable: "They're going to dress out 50 to 60 players on the sideline. They're twice the size school we are. But that's OK, you only put 11 out on the field at a time. It doesn't matter how many are on the sideline."
September 7, 2017
TVCC Coach Brad Smiley reviews the Cardinal win over Navarro and looks forward to hosting NEO Saturday evening.
- TVCC gutted out a tough win over Navarro last week on the road, 25-19.
- Winning on the road isn't easy.
- Next up for the Cardinals is Northeastern Oklahoma A&M.
- There are familiar faces on the NEO sideline.
- Kickoff is 6 p.m. Saturday at Bruce Field.
QUOTABLE: "Winning on the road is extremely tough at every level. Whether your talking about middle school, high school, junior college, university level four-year schools, the NFL. Winning on the road is difficult."
September 7, 2017
PODCAST: Malakoff Coach Jamie Driskell discusses the Tigers win over Bullard and their upcoming battle against Rusk.
- The game is Malakoff's home opener for 2017. Kickoff scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Friday at Tiger Stadium.
- Lost possessions hurt the Tigers in last week's win and that's something Malakoff has to clean up.
- Rusk has two very good offensive weapons.
- Friday night is going to be a dog fight.
QUOTABLE: "It'll be crazy, it'll be wild. It will be something they'll remember for a long time. There's nothing like running out with your fans there and hopefully this place is rocking." -- Coach Driskell on what it's like for players to run out on the field at home for the first time.
September 5, 2017
Athens Coach Paul Essary talks about beating Mexia and getting ready for Fairfield.
- The defense came up huge in the win over Mexia.
- The importance of special teams.
- Athens is 1-0 and Fairfield is 0-1.
- Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bruce Field.
- Police, firefighters, EMTs, first responders and military personnel in uniform will be admitted free for Civil Service Night.
Quotable: Re: Civil Service Night ... "They put their lives on the line every day for us and Athens ISD, Athens Hornets football and Coach Paul Essary appreciates what they do. My hat is off to them."
August 31, 2017
TVCC Coach Brad Smiley talks about last week's win against Pima and looks ahead to Navarro. (8-30)
- Tempo and the intensity of SWJCFC leads to big win over Pima.
- Defense plays very well in opening win.
- No 4 TVCC will travel to Corsicana to play No. 7 Navarro Saturday. Kickoff at 7 p.m.
QUOTABLE: "We know their coaches, they know us. We know their personnel, they know ours. We recruited most of the same kids. It makes it a lot of fun. It makes it an intriguing match up."
August 30, 2017
Athens Coach Paul Essary talks about opening week of the season and the Mexia Black Cats. (8-30)
- The Hornets will open up their 2017 season at home against Mexia 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 1.
- This will be the first Athens game played at the new Bruce Field.
- The Hornets will be unveiling their new-look offense.
- Athens needs to improve on its techniques.
QUOTABLE: "This is the first time that any team at Athens High School will be able to open up a brand-new field house for probably the next 40 years. You don't get a second chance on this, you'll remember this the rest of your life."
August 24, 2017
Trinity Valley Community College Coach Brad Smiley talks about season opener against Pima Community College. (8-24)
- The Battle in the Valley sponsored by Paul Benson and Virtual Communications Specialists.
- Game is 5 p.m. Saturday at Bruce Field.
- This is like opening the season with a bowl game.
- Pima has a good team and Saturday should be a great game.
QUOTABLE: "It's a really neat deal for all of junior college football. The NJCAA loves it."
August 23, 2017
Interview with Malakoff High School Coach Jamie Driskell. (8-23)
- Review from last week's scrimmage against Kerens.
- The "dog days" of summer have arrived.
- Senior class may be small in numbers, but big on leadership.
- Ready to get into the normal flow of the football season.
QUOTABLE: "It's that week where everybody is ready to get it over with, because you're ready to game plan. The kids are really ready to get in the routine of things. We're not in the routine of our game plan yet."
August 23, 2017
Interview with Athens Independent School District Communications Coordinator Toni Garrard Clay.
- Athens ISD construction is on schedule and on budget.
- Construction is mostly complete at all campuses except for the high school.
QUOTABLE: "We are on schedule and on budget. That is very important to us."